Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Things I Hate About English Grammar (Immature Rant)

 I'm bored, so I'm doing a pointless list of a few things I absolutely dislike about the grammar of the English language in random order. Yes, I'm that angry enough to get this off my chest. I've got nothing else to say too, so here's the list.

A List of Aggravatinglish Traits

Putting commas before "and" in places that don't feel needed.

"It warms the heart, and it fills up my whole body with excitement the more I see it."

First of all, this is unnecessary and it doesn't feel like anything easier for me to read. Why would you pause the sentence when you could just continue? There's no need for the comma.

Not even using "called" or "titled" for anything

"The next project, 'Singers in Time,' continues to be worked on til this day."

You know what should work? If you at least told us if it's called, named, or titled that way. Nobody even talks like this as far as I know and I don't even think you should write like this either. You just sound slow-minded.

Putting a comma after "and" or "who"

"He deviously puts up a tent and, in desperate attempt, adds more tents to the field."

Just separate the comma with another one. Seriously, your sentences won't even come out fluently if you do this kind of poorly constructed garble. If you want to make things easier to read, do what I told you: two commas side by side.

Overusing "however"

What you could do to fix this is to use synonyms of the word, like "nevertheless," "even so," or for referring to bad cases, "unfortunately." Having to use it for everything doesn't make you a good writer.

Putting commas before "to the point"

"His craze grew stronger, to the point that he killed himself later that day."

No. Stop. Right now. The person who developed this as an English grammar normal for people to write down as necessary or mandatory doesn't know anything about English in the first place and therefore can't even construct a perfect sentence right. It is unnecessary, it is sloppy, and it's difficult to read in all the wrong ways. Stop.

Ordinal numbers in specific dates

"January 6th, 1936"

There is a rule that says cardinal numbers fit best for written dates rather than ordinal numbers. Why are you ignoring this? Why is Know Your Meme ignoring this (I complained about this on the KYM forums and I've been downvoted. What? It's more formal for you to use ordinal numbers? What are you)? Learn from the people who know better!

Such as 

"Figures, such as Thomason and Reynolds, and crime boasters, such as Klebold and Stanley, have mixed occupations, such as organization, travel, and crimes, such as law abuse and public flashing."

You sound like a total ESL if you can't think of synonyms for "such as," let alone using commas before every use of this phrase. Get over it, you gotta avoid whatever I listed here.

In fact, you should just improve your English and make sure to not write like you don't know English. I'm not trying to sound like an idiot, but... I am.

Crapfully yours with lots of autism and childishness,
-Telsm



No comments:

Post a Comment

White Science: Ideas and Thoughts

 I was originally planning to make music under an alias called "whatkaktis." My ideal style would be like sound collages and plund...